Everyone needs an easy, reliable vanilla cake recipe to whip up as a birthday cake or a last-minute dessert.
This simple vanilla cake is moist, delicious and unbelievably easy. It only uses one bowl and doesn't need an electric mixer.
This cake keeps fresh and flavourful for several days. Top with your favourite frosting, or serve with whipped cream and fresh berries.
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 180 g (¾ cup / 6.5 oz) butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 320°F (fan/convection) or 180°C / 355°F (standard). Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together plain flour and baking powder. Whisk in sugar. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add melted butter, milk and vanilla essence. Whisk altogether until well combined (the butter may solidify and make the batter a bit lumpy - this is okay).
- Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can keep this cake un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This cake stays beautifully moist. To freeze the cooked cake, wrap tightly in clingwrap then place in a zip-loc or freezer bag. Allow to defrost for 6 hours or overnight then serve as normal.
Substitutions & Tips
- I serve this cake with a simple vanilla buttercream frosting: in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together 125 g (4.5 oz / ½ cup) softened butter with 1 ½ cups of sifted icing sugar. Add 1 tsp of vanilla essence and 2 tbsp milk then beat well until fluffy.
- Vanilla essence: you can substitute 1 tbsp of vanilla essence with 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/8th of Cake (No Frosting)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 19.5gSaturated Fat: 11.8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 48.4mgSodium: 186.1mgCarbohydrates: 49.2gFiber: 1gSugar: 26.7gProtein: 4.8g