This rocky road with a twist is the perfect chocolate treat for the Easter weekend! Loaded with crisp Mini Eggs, marshmallows and coconut, it's impossible to stop at just one piece.
This is also the best way to use up leftover Easter eggs. I use Mini Eggs, but you can use any similarly-sized speckled eggs or other chocolates.
Happy Easter and enjoy!
- 200 g (7 oz) block dark chocolate
- 200 g (7 oz) block milk chocolate
- 1 ½ cups (100 g) mini marshmallows
- ½ cup (45 g) desiccated coconut
- 1 cup (220 g) mini eggs (or similar speckled eggs), plus extra for decorating
- Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin with baking paper, ensuring at least 3 cm (1 inch) overhang for easy removal of the slice.
- In a large heat-proof bowl, combine chopped dark and milk chocolate. Microwave at full power for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave in further 30 second bursts, stirring well in-between, until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Add marshmallows, coconut and mini eggs. Stir together until well combined and all the ingredients are evenly coated in chocolate.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and press down evenly. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until chocolate has set. Remove from tin and slice into 16 even squares using a hot knife.
- You can keep rocky road un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Keep in a cool place out of direct sunlight. If the rocky road begins to melt, store in the fridge.
Substitutions & Tips
- Chocolate: many chocolate chips aren't designed to be melted down. If you want to use chocolate chips instead of a block of chocolate, make sure they are high quality (not labelled 'compound' or 'candy melts').
- Using milk or dark chocolate: you can use any combination of milk and dark chocolate (blocks or chocolate chips) as long as it totals 400 g (14 oz). Using more milk chocolate will result in a sweeter rocky road while using more dark chocolate will result in a less sweet rocky road.
- Coconut: you can substitute desiccated coconut with shredded coconut.
- Mini marshmallows: you can also use regular size marshmallows. Chop them into halves or quarters before using.
- Other delicious additions: peanuts, chopped plain sweet biscuits, chopped Oreos, Turkish delight, Malteasers, jube candies, and chopped honeycomb.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 14.3gSaturated Fat: 10.2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2.1mgSodium: 12.1mgCarbohydrates: 29.7gFiber: 0.9gSugar: 20.8gProtein: 3.2g