Throw away the box! These fudgy brownies from scratch are chewy, chocolately and absolutely addictive.
With crackly tops and an intense chocolate flavour, you'll understand why this is my go-to brownie recipe.
With just a few easy steps and simple ingredients, this brownie recipe turns out perfectly every time.
- 200 g (7 oz) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 125 g (4.5 oz / ½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F). Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) square tin with baking paper, ensuring there's at least 3 cm (1 inch) overhang for easy removal of the brownie.
- Place chopped chocolate in a small heat-proof bowl. Microwave for 1 minute on full power. Stir well. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. If needed, microwave in further 10 seconds bursts until completely melted. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the softened butter and sugars until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well in between, until pale and creamy. Add vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Whisk in the melted chocolate until well combined. Add the cocoa powder and plain flour and whisk until the batter is thick and combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking tin and spread out evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the brownie doesn't wobble when moved. Allow to cool in the tin for 30 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- You can keep the brownie un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Substitutions & Tips
- Chocolate: you can substitute 200 g of chopped dark chocolate for 1 heaped cup of dark chocolate chips. If you use milk chocolate, the brownie will be a lot sweeter.
- Sugar: you can use all brown sugar or all caster sugar if need be. The texture of the brownie might be a little less fudgy but it will still be delicious.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/16th of brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 11.3gSaturated Fat: 6.5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39.9mgSodium: 12.2mgCarbohydrates: 23.9gFiber: 1gSugar: 19.3gProtein: 2.6g