Why settle for regular banana bread when you can have this indulgent double chocolate banana bread?
This dense and moist banana bread has a rich cocoa batter stuffed with chunks of dark chocolate.
It's also ridiculously easy! All you need is one bowl and 15 minutes of preparation time. Just mix and bake!
- 3 overripe bananas
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 180 g (6.5 oz / 1 cup) block dark or semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Grease and line a 13 x 28 cm (5 x 11 inch) loaf tin with baking paper, ensuring there's at least 3 cm (1 inch) of paper overhanging for easy removal of the loaf.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas. Add oil, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla essence. Whisk to combine.
- Sift over the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Stir in two thirds of the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and sprinkle over remaining one third of chocolate chunks. Bake for 50-55 minutes or loaf has risen evenly and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can keep the banana bread un-refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days.
- To freeze the baked banana bread, allow to cool completely then wrap tightly in clingwrap and then in foil. Keep for up to 6 months frozen. To thaw, allow to defrost at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight.
- You can replace 1 1/4 cups of self-raising flour with 1 1/4 cups of plain flour combined with 2 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You can use any combination of chocolate (milk, dark, white) or chocolate chips, as long as it totals 180 grams (6 oz or 1 cups).
- Frozen bananas: you can defrost frozen bananas and use those instead of fresh. You should have a total of approximately 230 g (8 oz) of peeled banana.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/10th of Loaf
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 24.2gSaturated Fat: 4.9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14.4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 15.1mgCarbohydrates: 50.4gFiber: 2.9gSugar: 33.4gProtein: 5.2g