It's not often that I'll say something is the easiest ever. But this really is the easiest chocolate lava cake ever. No freezing, no eggs, no dusting the ramekin, no double boiling and no electric mixer!
This lava cake is the perfect indulgent dessert for one or two people (date night, anyone?) and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
With an oozing chocolate centre and rich chocolate cake, this is a chocoholic's dream dish. I dusted mine with icing sugar, but it is also amazing served with ice cream, whipped cream or fresh berries!
- ¼ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 60 g (2 oz / ¼ cup) unsalted butter, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup icing sugar / powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355°F (fan-forced/convection) or 190°C / 375°C (standard). Generously grease a large 1-cup capacity ramekin with canola spray or cooking spray (the spray works much better than melted butter).
- Place chocolate chips and butter in a large heat-proof jug. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk together with a fork until smooth.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, icing sugar and milk (in that order). Whisk with the fork until thick, shiny and smooth.
- Pour into the prepared ramekin and bake for 15 minutes. Place a plate upside-down on top of the ramekin and turn both the plate and the ramekin over. Gently lift the ramekin up to dislodge the cake. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
- The lava cake must be served immediately.
Substitutions & Tips
- Chocolate chips: you can use 50 g of chopped dark chocolate instead of ¼ cup of chocolate chips. I would not recommend substituting dark chocolate with milk chocolate or the cake will be too sweet.
- Can I use a muffin tin instead of a ramekin? Yes, you can use a muffin tin. The batter will fit into one hole of a texas muffin pan, or you can split it across two holes in a regular muffin pan. Make sure to grease the pan very well.
- Can I make a couple of smaller lava cakes? Yes, you can split the mixture across 2 small ramekins. Reduce the baking time to 10 minutes.
- How can I stop the cake sticking to the ramekin? Make sure you grease the ramekin very well with cooking spray. I've tried using melted butter and it doesn't work as well. You do NOT need to dust the ramekin with cocoa powder as this will make the cake stick.
- Serving suggestions: this cake is delicious served with ice cream or whipped cream! You can also chop up some strawberries or serve with raspberries for a decadent dessert.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Lava Cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1034Total Fat: 70gSaturated Fat: 41gUnsaturated Fat: 16.8gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 27.2mgCarbohydrates: 98.7gFiber: 12.8gSugar: 67gProtein: 13.9g