I'll take any excuse for more chocolate! These chocolate chunk cookies are packed full of big chunks of dark and milk chocolate and topped with a light sprinkling of sea salt.
Why the salt? A little touch of flaked salt helps bring out the beautiful chocolate flavour and cuts through the sweetness of the cookie. Trust me, salting your cookies brings them to a whole new level!
These cookies are chewy and soft inside and crisp on the outside. With no electric mixer needed, you can whip up a batch of these cookies in a flash. Enjoy!
- 200 g (7 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour / all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 g (7 oz / 1 heaped cup) block dark or semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 200 g (7 oz / 1 heaped cup) block milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- Sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 340°F (fan/convection) or 180°C / 355°F (standard). Grease and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and sugars. Add the egg and vanilla essence and stir until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir together until a soft dough forms. Add chocolate chunks and mix until well combined. If the dough is too soft to work with, allow to stand for 10 minutes on the bench.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball and place onto the prepared tray. Flatten slightly. Repeat with remaining dough, leaving a 3 cm (1 inch) gap between the cookies to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Take the trays out of the oven immediately sprinkle cookies lightly with sea salt. Allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can keep the chocolate chunk cookies un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- To freeze the raw cookie dough, wrap tightly in clingwrap and then place in a zip-loc bag or airtight container. Keep for up to 6 months frozen. To thaw, allow to defrost at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight. Once defrosted, you can bake as normal.
- Chocolate: You can use any combination of chocolate (milk, dark, white) or chocolate chips, as long as it totals 360 grams (12 oz or 2 cups).
- Sea salt: I highly recommend using sea salt flakes for the best flavour. Fine salt may taste too salty. You can leave out the salt completely if you like - it just helps enhance the chocolate flavour and cut through the sweetness of the cookies.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 16.1gSaturated Fat: 9.9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3.1gCholesterol: 34.2mgSodium: 192.8mgCarbohydrates: 43.9gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 26gProtein: 3.4g