This simply delicious chocolate fudge cake can be made with basic pantry staples. It’s easy to make and guaranteed to please a crowd! Rich, not overly sweet, and a perfect crackly top. Enjoy with a dollop of cream and fresh berries.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (355 F). Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt together and whisk until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and boiling water until sugar has partially dissolved. Whisk in the oil, vinegar, and vanilla essence.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold with a spatula until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake doesn't wobble and a skewer inserted comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- All measurements are in metric standards.
- You can keep the cake un-refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- To freeze the cake, allow to cool completely then wrap tightly in clingwrap and then in foil. Keep for up to 6 months frozen. To thaw, allow to defrost at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight.
- You can substitute the self-raising flour for plain flour combined with 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- You can substitute the canola oil with any unflavoured vegetable oil
- You can find detailed instructions and photographs on my Instructable