Embrace the festive season with this oh-so easy microwave gingerbread mug cake!
This moist and fluffy mug cake is full of spices for a beautiful gingerbread flavour. It takes less than 5 minutes including cooking time!
I add a dollop of whipped cream to mine but you can eat it just as it is too!
- ⅓ cup plain flour / all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp canola oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- In a large microwave-safe mug (350 mL / 12.5 oz capacity or larger), stir together plain flour, brown sugar, baking powder and spices until well combined. Add milk, oil and vanilla essence and stir until well combined.
- Microwave for 90 seconds (based on an 1100 watt microwave) or until the cake has risen well. You can stick a fork through the centre of the cake to see if it is cooked through. Microwave in further 10 second bursts if needed but be very careful not to overcook! Serve with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired.
- I recommend eating the mug cake while it is fresh. It isn't designed to keep well.
Substitutions & Tips
- Find the original recipe video on here on TikTok (you don't need to have a TikTok account to view the video).
- Oil: you can use any type of vegetable oil. I don't recommend using olive oil as it will give the cake an odd flavour. You can also substitute oil with an equal amount of melted butter or margarine.
- Sugar: you can substitute brown sugar with caster sugar or granulated sugar.
- Baking powder: you can substitute ½ tsp of baking powder with ¼ tsp of baking soda. You can also leave it out completely and replace the plain flour with self-raising flour.
- Why did my cake overflow? If your cake overflowed then you are using a mug which is too small. Use a mug which is at least 350 mL (12.5 oz) or use a small microwave-safe bowl. If your cake starts to overflow, stop the microwave and let the cake sink down then resume cooking.
- Why is my cake hard and rubbery? It is likely that you have overcooked the cake. 90 seconds will be plenty of cooking time for this cake in the majority of microwaves. If you know that your microwave is more powerful than normal microwaves, reduce the power to 80%. When in doubt, a slightly undercooked cake is far better than an overcooked cake!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Mug Cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 524Total Fat: 29.8gSaturated Fat: 2.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 251.6mgCarbohydrates: 59.9gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 29.1gProtein: 6.2g